Please upload your DNA file to GEDmatch, MyHeritage and Family Tree DNA.
MyHeritage, GEDmatch and Family Tree DNA are free (for their basic service). Their DNA tools enable us to get critical information about the distant matches we share and how we are related in the distant past. This genetic information is not available through Ancestry.
1. The first step is to download your DNA file
To download your test from Ancestry just click this link and follow the instructions:
To download your test from MyHeritage just click this link and follow the instructions: https://www.myheritage.com/help-center/en/article/how-do-i-download-my-raw-dna-data-file-from-myheritage
To download your test (“raw data”) from 23andMe click on the Download tab from the top navigation bar within the Browse Raw Data tool and scroll down until you see the “Submit request” button. You will receive an email to the email address associated with your 23andMe account when your raw data download file is ready. Typically files are ready within 1 hour. Take me to Raw Data Download.
Do not open the “.zip” or “.gz” file after it downloads. (If you use a Mac this might happen automatically, but the original file is likely in your Trash.)
When you have downloaded your DNA file the simplest route is to email me the file as an attachment. I will upload it to the other sites for you. (If you’d prefer this route you probably have my email address already because we’ve been in contact.)
2. The second step is to upload your DNA file to these genetic genealogy sites
Upload to GEDmatch
To upload to GEDmatch: The Ireland Davis family blog provides this excellent, easy-to-follow set of instructions on how to upload your Ancestry file to GEDmatch: http://www.irelanddavis.com/dna/gedmatch/default.aspx
Please provide me with your GEDmatch kit number after you’ve uploaded. Then I can send you a shared DNA report.
Upload to MyHeritage
To upload to MyHeritage: https://faq.myheritage.com/en/article/how-can-i-upload-a-dna-file-to-myheritage
After you create a MyHeritage account, you can change your account settings to decrease or eliminate any emails they will send you.
If you need help with any of the steps, please use the Comments section or the Contact button at the top of this page to get in touch.
Upload to Family Tree DNA and join the Sainsbury-Sansbury Group Project
- Click the UPLOAD DNA DATA link at the top of this page: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/sainsbury-sansbury/about
- Create a free Family Tree DNA account.
- Then follow the instructions to upload your raw DNA data file from the other company.
- After uploading your raw DNA file from another company, go to your main dashboard in Family Tree DNA, choose “myPROJECTS” and select “Join a Project.” Then search for Sansbury or Sainsbury (either name), click on the project, and then click the orange “Join” button.
- Note: Not all raw DNA files are transferrable. To see exactly which files may be transferred to Family Tree DNA, see: Autosomal Transfers.